Friday, July 27, 2007

There are friends and then, there are friends

They aren't the first but recently I have noticed how some people seem to possess a "special" brand of friend. These kind of friends though, aren't what I think I have on my buddylist.

On June 24, 2007, Myisha Ferrell was arrested for hindering procescution. She had helped her friend Bobby Cutts Jr allegedly, dump his pregnant girlfriend's body and then cover up that fact with investigators. I am still wondering how good a friend you are to do that. When you get that phone call that says, I need your help and it's not in changing a tire. I would think that she didn't help him at gunpoint and if he had "tricked" her into meeting him, there had to be a point when she could have refused and turned him in.

At 8:30 am, July 5 2007, Deborah Butryman of Windsor Locks CT, had the opportunity to show her "true colors" as a friend as well. Her friend William waters, 45, of Windsor Locks, showed up at her door "covered in blood." She stated that she had asked him what had happened and he told her that he had "lost it" and stabbed the woman who was stalking him. Butryman, who said she had been "dating" the married Williams for about a month, let him in, let him shower off, got rid of his bloody clothes and was making plans to help him get out of the state. At least in this case, police had used a GPS theft device on his truck to help them track him down to Butryman's apartment and apprehend him there.

On July 24 2007, Felix Rivera, 23, was charged in relation to his "odd" way of showing his friend Charles Gerber, 34, that he cares. According to Rivera, he and Gerber were celebrating their July 17 release from jail after their arrests in Ansonia CT on assault and weapons charges. He said that after smoking angel dust, taking pills and drinking alcohol, Gerber stopped breathing.

Rivera stated that he panicked and rather than call 911 for help, he decided try and stuff his 5 foot 9 inch tall friend's body into a 55 gallon drum. When he couldn't manage that, he used an axe to cut off Gerber's head, hands and feet and then stuffed them all in. He then put the drum in his car, drove to a boat ramp in Seaside Park and rolled the drum into the Pequonnock River. The drum surfaced July 18 and Rivera is now being held in lieu of $100,000 bond on the charge of improper disposal of a dead body.


"I helped Billy when he came to my apartment because I was scared and did not know what I did was wrong and I should have never helped him. I am sorry for what has happened... Next time I will be more careful about who I get involved with," stated Butryman.

I don't think it is so much that these people need to be more careful about who they get involved with, it certainly is a problem with knowing what is right and wrong. We have the popular slogan,"friends don't let their friends drive drunk." Maybe we expand the slogan to ......... "friends don't let their friends drive drunk, real friends help you dump a body," since I can't understand why none thought to just call the police.

No comments: