Thursday, June 28, 2007

Not on my grocery list

I can say that I have never had a kipper, I do have slippers though. Now that I know that this "wonderful" food item can be mistaken for the smell of an electrical fire, I know I won't be rushing out to try any.

Evidently that is exactly what happened to a couple in London England recently. While their hapless kipper lay on the counter, they believed they had an electrical fire and called the fire station. The dutiful firemen went to the length of using a thermal imaging camera to eliminate the possible sources of the smell and finally traced it to, you got it..... the kipper.

Nishant has said that there is quite a difference in the two smells and for the moment, I will have to believe him. It may be that they had very untrained noses or they may have smelled a rather "fishy" fire before, although i can't comprehend how the smell of burning plastic is "fish-like." Either way, kipper isn't going to be on my grocery list anytime soon.


hat tip to Nishant at OMG Teh World

2 comments:

Karen said...

I've had kippers.... and there's no way they should smell like an electrical fire!

nish81 said...

Hi Val! thanks for taking my word for it