Friday, January 4, 2008

Mighty expensive bacon.....

Wednesday night brought cold temperatures to much of the state of Florida and residents were warned to care for their plants and pets. A resident of St Augustine FL took the warning seriously and made what seemed to be a good plan to keep his pet warm during the night.

The St Johns County Fire-Rescue department was called to his Francis Ave home at around 10:20 pm though with the report of a house fire in progress. Firefighters state that the fire destroyed the home's back porch and gazebo and it had spread to the eave and attic before they were able to get it under control.

They later discovered that the homeowner had brought his pig onto the back porch and set a space heater out there to keep it warm in the below freezing temperatures that were reported to be due. The pig evidently knocked over the heater and started the fire. They added that everyone managed to escape the home unharmed......... except for the pig, who died in the fire.

The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the home and just guessing that the pig may have weighed 100 pounds......... that would work out to approximately $500 a pound.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I feel bad for the pig!